- ACTFL goal areas: communication, comparisons
- Level: beginner and above
- Learning objectives: reflect on the “hidden” values and perspectives of the target culture; compare proverbs and sayings of the target language with students’ own language
- Have students work in pairs with one or more smartphones.
- Provide students with two specific hashtags: #Englishproverb (or #Proverbioitaliano) and #Englishsaying (or #Dettoitaliano).
- Students explore proverbs and sayings in the target language on Twitter, pick one of their choice, and analyze its meaning. Provide some guiding questions:
- What is the value or perspective behind the proverb or saying you selected?
- In what context or situation would you use this proverb or saying?
- Can you think of a similar proverb or saying in other languages you speak?
- After the pair discussions, students share their findings with the class.
Options and suggestions
- In many cases students will find a translation of the proverb or saying within the same post. If there is no translation and the meaning is not clear, students may use Google Translate.