- ACTFL goal areas: communication
- Level: beginner and above
- Learning objectives: understand humor in the target language; use language creatively by developing a caption for a meme
- Ask students to work individually and search on Instagram hashtags related to memes in the target language. For example, #memeitaliani, or #memeespañol.
- Each student picks one meme. Then by working in pairs, students need to understand the language and meaning of the two chosen memes.
- Students in pairs come up with their own caption in the target language for one of the two previously selected memes.
- Finally, students share with the class the original caption of the meme as well as the caption they created in the target language.
Options and suggestions
- Students might also be asked to explore memes previously selected on Instagram by the teacher. These memes can be added to a dedicated Instagram account so that they can be easily found. This way, there is more control over the content that students will be using.