- ACTFL goal areas: cultures, communication
- Level: beginner and above
- Learning objectives: consider new cultural topics usually not found in traditional language textbooks; examine and question culturally-relevant photos
- Create a closed Facebook group as the course instructor and add all students to the group. No friending is required to add students to the group.
- Once per week, post a photo related to a cultural topic. The chosen photos should be related to diverse cultural topics, presenting students with content usually not found in the language textbook.
- Every week students need to comment or ask a question under the posted photo. Encourage students to share reflective and thoughtful comments by providing some guiding questions, for example:
- What catches your attention in this photo and why?
- How does this photo relate to your own experiences with the target culture?
- How does this photo relate to what you already know of the target culture?
Options and suggestions
- Students may comment in their first language to facilitate meaningful comments. Students may also reply to each other’s comments.